Dr. Janet’s Braised Red Cabbage with Green Olives
- Yield servings
- 1 1/2 head red cabbage
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the outer leaves from the cabbage and slice it into 1/4-inch strips, discarding the core. In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons water and the vinegar. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes. Stir in the olives, capers, salt, and pepper.
Reprinted from Prevent a Second Heart Attack by Janet Bond Brill, PH.D., R.D., LDN. Copyright © 2011 by Janet Bond Brill, PH.D., R.D., LDN. Published by Three Rivers Press, a division of Random House, Inc.