- Yield 4 servings
Fresh tomatoes stacked on toasted bread, brushed with tomato oil.
- 3 sun-dried tomato halves (not in oil)
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 3/4 cup diced smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices rustic Italian bread
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- To make the tomato-basil oil, place the dried tomatoes in a heat-safe bowl and add 1/4 cup boiling water. Let soak for 5 minutes. Drain, pat dry, and mince. Mince half of the basil leaves. Combine the minced basil and tomatoes in a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, and mix well. Set aside.
- Stack the remaining basil leaves and thinly slice crosswise into shreds. Place in a medium bowl, and add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, the fresh tomatoes, cheese, vinegar, and salt. Mix well.
- Brush the bread slices on both sides with the tomato-basil oil. Arrange the bread on a baking sheet, and bake until golden and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Top with the fresh tomato mixture, and serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission from Tina Haupert’s Carrots ‘N’ Cake: Healthy Living One Carrot and Cupcake at a Time (Sterling, May 2011).