Double Strawberry Smoothie Pie
- Yield 8 servings
A delightful strawberry filling is found in this healthier take on graham cracker crust.
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 12 squares)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed or wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 -- egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 cup 100% cranberry strawberry, or cranberry raspberry juice, divided
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup low-fat strawberry yogurt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- -- Light whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. For the pie crust, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, flaxseed, sugar, egg white, butter, and oil in a large bowl until well combined.
- Using the back of a large spoon, press the crumb mixture firmly on the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake about 8 minutes (the color of the crust won't change). Cool before filling.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, blend together the strawberries and 1/2 cup of the juice until smooth. Pour into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally to break up any frothy bubbles.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup juice in a large bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over the juice and let it stand 1 minute. Add the hot juice mixture and stir, or gently whisk, until the gelatin completely dissolves, about 5 minutes. Stir in the yogurt and sugar.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust. Carefully transfer to the refrigerator, and chill, uncovered, until firm, about 3 hours. Serve with light whipped cream as desired.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Liz Weiss and Janice Bissex’s No Whine with Dinner (Melrose, Mass.: M3 Press, 2011).