Double Potato Bisque
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
Sweet potato and potato combine in this mild, smooth, intensely flavored soup.
- 1 large sweet potato (yam), peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (2 cups)
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (2 cups)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated skimmed milk
- Salt and pepper
- Green onion stems, optional
- In large pot, combine diced sweet potato, potato, onion, garlic and vegetable broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Pour mixture into food processor; blend until smooth. Return to pot.
- Add thyme, cayenne and evaporated milk. Cook over low heat just until thoroughly heated. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with green onion.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg and Gerald Miletello’s Eating Well Through Cancer: Easy Recipes & Recommendations During and After Treatment (2001).