Donsuemor Almond Cake Truffles
- Yield servings
- 1/2 cup whole almonds, preferably toasted (I used unblanched almonds)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I used hershey dark chocolate chips)
- 6 Donsuemor French Almond Cakes
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon forest berry preserves (raspberry preserves would work too)
- If you prefer toasted almonds, preheat the oven to 350F degrees and toast the almonds until fragrant, about 7-8 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Chop the almonds (toasted or untoasted) in the food processor and set aside.
- Make the ganache: heat the heavy cream in a pan over medium heat until bubbles form around the edges. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips and stir until the chocolate is completely melted. Set aside.
- Break up each French Almond Cake into roughly 4 pieces and put it in the food processor. Pulse in 1 second increments until the cakes resemble coarse crumbs, about 10 pulses.
- Bring the cream cheese to room temperature by microwaving it for 10 seconds, or until softened. Add the sugar, almond extract and berry preserves to the cream cheese. Stir to combine. Fold in the the cake crumbs.
- Take a heaping teaspoon of cake mixture and roll it into a ball between the palms of your hand. Repeat with the remainder of the cake mixture.
- Freeze the truffle centers for about 10 minutes. Remove the truffle centers from the freezer and coat each one with the ganache. Transfer the truffle to the bowl of chopped almonds and gently roll it in the almonds until it’s completely covered. Repeat with the remainder of the truffle centers.
- Freeze the truffles for 5 minutes for the ganache to set.
- Place each truffle in a small (truffle size) paper liner before serving.
—Recipe by Hanaa, Hanaa’s Kitchen