Divers Sea Scallops with Citrus Beurre Blanc and Tabouleh-Apricot-Walnut Salad
- Yield: servings
- 1/4cup cracked bulgur wheat (tabouleh)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2cup boiling water
- 1teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- 1tablespoon diced shallot
- 1tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 1tablespoon minced parsley
- 2tablespoons diced dried apricots
- 2tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/2teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4teaspoon lime zest
- 2tablespoons orange juice
- 1teaspoon lemon juice
- 1teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4cup chicken stock or clam juice
- 1/4cup white wine
- 1/2teaspoon cornstarch
- 6large sea scallops
- Salt, pepper
- Nonstick pan spray
- 2teaspoons butter
- For the salad, place bulgur in a bowl with the salt. Pour boiling water over, cover and let stand 15 minutes. Add olive oil and lemon juice, re-cover, let sit until all liquid is absorbed (30 to 45 minutes). Fold in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate for 30 to 40 minutes before serving.
- For the scallops. combine zests, juices, stock, wine and cornstarch in a bowl and set aside. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Mist on all sides with spray. Saute scallops in a heavy nonstick skillet until slightly browned and just cooked through. Set scallops aside, covered.
- Add juice mixture to skillet and reduce rapidly, stirring, to a thin sauce consistency. Add liquid from the plate of scallops. Remove from heat and whisk in butter, one teaspoon at a time.
- To serve, put a mound of salad in the center of two plates. Divide scallops around. Dab with the beurre blanc.
Recipe from Fresh: Healthy Cooking and Living from Lake Austin Spa Resort by chef Terry Conlan.