Vegetarian Dirty Rice
- Yield 4 servings
A heart-healthy rice dish that gets its color from red beans and tomato paste.
- 2 teaspoons pure olive or canola oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups brown or Texmati rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 (16-ounce) can kidney or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Over medium-high heat, heat oil in a saucepan large enough to hold all the ingredients. Saute onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic 1 minute. Add rice and saute 1 minute. Add the water, thyme and chili flakes. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes. Stir in the beans, cover and simmer another 10 minutes. Season with salt and serve.