- Yield: 24 pieces
- 1envelope dry yeast
- 1/4cup warm (105- to 115F) water
- 1cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 1-- egg, slightly beaten
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 1tablespoon minced onion
- 1tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- 2teaspoons dillseeds
- 2 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon baking soda
- 1 to 2tablespoon melted butter
- -- Salt to taste
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water in a large warm bowl. Heat the cottage cheese in a saucepan to lukewarm. Add to yeast and mix well. Add the egg, sugar, onion, 1 tablespoon butter and dillseeds and mix well. Sift the flour with 1 teaspoon salt and baking soda and add to cottage cheese mixture. Stir until well blended; the dough will be quite soft. Let the dough rise, loosely covered, for about 1 hour. Spoon the dough into 2 greased 3×8-inch loaf pans. Let rise, loosely covered, for 1 hour. Bake at 350F for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Brush the loaves with melted butter and sprinkle with salt to taste. Invert onto wire racks to cool. Chill before slicing.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Betty Sim’s Southern Scrumptious; How to Cater Your Own Party (Decatur, Alabama, 1997).