Chicken Dijon Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Yield 4 servings
Shredded chicken and three cheeses combine in these melty, gooey Grilled Cheese sandwiches.
- 8 -- (1/2-inch thick) slices country style French or Italian bread
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 ounces extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces Emmenthal or Gruyere cheese, shredded (can substitute Swiss cheese)
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups cooked shredded rotisserie chicken
- -- Kosher salt
- -- Freshly cracked black pepper
- -- Tarragon leaves, for garnish
In a small bowl, mustard, tarragon, and mayonnaise; mix to combine. Add in cheddar, Emmenthal cheese, and cream cheese; mix until well combined. Use 2 tablespoons butter (total) to brush on the tops of the bread slices. Turn 4 of the slices over (butter-side down). Top these 4 slices with 1/2 of the cheese mixture, chicken, a pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper, the remaining 1/2 of the cheese mixture, and a slice of bread (butter-side up). This will yield 4 sandwiches.
Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add 2 sandwiches. With a flat metal spatula press down firmly on sandwiches in skillet; cook for 4 minutes or until nicely browned. Flip sandwiches and cook on other side, pressing down with spatula, for another 4 minutes or until nicely browned. Remove sandwiches, add another tablespoon of butter to skillet, and repeat with remaining 2 sandwiches. (Of course, you can alternately use two separate skillets to cook all of the sandwiches at the same time).
Slice sandwiches on the diagonal. (If serving as appetizer, cut the halves in half). Garnish with tarragon.
Makes 4 servings (8 appetizer servings).