- 6large eggs, separated
- 3/4cup superfine sugar, or 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4cup cognac (optional)
- 1/4cup rum (optional)
- 1/2cup bourbon (optional)
- 2cups whole milk
- 3cups heavy cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg yolks while gradually adding the sugar until the mixture is thick and glossy; this should take 10 minutes. If using alcohol, add it now, then add the milk and 2 cups of cream, while mixing constantly at a low speed. (The mixture can be refrigerated for up to 4 days. A covered glass container is best for storage. Refrigerate the egg whites, covered, separately)
- Just before serving, transfer the yolk mixture to a large bowl. Whisk the egg whites on high speed in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment until they form soft peaks. Gently fold the whipped white into the yolk mixture. In the bowl of the stand mixer (you do not need to clean it), whish the remaining 1 cup heavy cream on high speed until it forms soft peaks. Gently fold the whipped cream into the egg base mixture.
- To serve, pour the eggnog into 6-ounce glasses and grate a bit of nutmeg n top of each.
Reprinted with permission from Summerland. Copyright 2013 by Rizzoli.