Deschutes-Style Salmon Salad
- Yield: 5 to 6 servings
- 2 to 3pounds salmon fillet
- 5cloves garlic, minced and divided
- 1teaspoon dried tarragon
- Seasoning salt
- 5 bay leaves
- 1/2medium red onion, minced
- 1/2medium green bell pepper, seeded, deveined and diced
- 1/2medium red bell pepper, seeded, deveined and diced
- 1medium carrot, grated
- 3stalks celery, thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1tablespoon mayonnaise, or to taste
- 1tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Red leaf lettuce
- Prepare salmon fillet by mincing 4 garlic cloves and spreading over fish.
- Sprinkle top of fish with 1 tablespoon dill, tarragon and seasoning salt.
- Cover fish with bay leaves and grill on barbecue with skin-side down until flaky, yet moist. (If baking in the oven, allow 10 minutes for each 1-inch thickness of fish at 450 degrees.)
- Chill fish in refrigerator until cool. Remove bay leaves and discard.
- In a large bowl, flake salmon with fork into small pieces.
- Add onions, peppers, carrot, celery and remaining garlic. Stir in mayonnaise, remaining dill, and Dijon mustard.
- Serve on salad plates lined with lettuce leaves.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Portland, Oregon, From Portland’s Palate a Collection of Recipes from the City of Roses (The Junior League of Portland, Oregon, 1992).