Derby Cheese and Herb Biscuits
- Yield 1
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 ½ sticks) butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated Derby-style or Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (or herbs of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Place flour, baking powder, cream or tartar, salt and sugar in a large bowl. With 2 butter knives or a pastry cutter, cut in butter until mixture resembles small peas.
- Beat milk, egg, grated cheese and herbs with a fork.
- Mix wet ingredients with the flour mixture until it forms a soft dough. Do not overmix.
- Scoop biscuits with a 1/4-cup ice cream scoop onto a parchment-covered cookie sheet. Place cookie sheet in upper third of oven, and bake 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Makes 12 biscuits.
Recipe courtesy of Double Brook Farm, Hopewell, N.J.