Deep South Chicken and Dumplings
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 46 mins
Y'all will certainly come back for more of this home-style stewed chicken, ya' hear?
These are classic Southern dumplings—wet and sticky, more like pasta than biscuits. Look for frozen dumplings in freezer section of supermarkets.
- 3 cans (14-ounce) lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 package (12-ounce) frozen dumplings (such as Mary B's Open Kettle Dumplings)
- 1 cup frozen green peas (optional)
- Combine broth, chicken, thyme, bay leaf and pepper in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Add dumplings one at a time, stirring to prevent sticking. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally with a rubber spatula. Remove chicken, cool and shred.
- Continue to cook dumplings, uncovered, 25 minutes or until very tender, stirring occasionally.
- When dumplings are done, return chicken to Dutch oven along with peas; cook 1 minute. Serve immediately in shallow soup bowls. Dish will thicken as it stands.
Recipe by Nancy Hughes