Deep-Dish Potato Torta with Peppers and Olives
- Yield 16 servings
This makes a great vegetarian main dish. Any cheese will work. Try manchego, Parmesan, fontina or mozzarella.
- 2 pounds peeled white potatoes, halved
- 3 -- bell peppers (orange, red and yellow)
- 1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced, coarsely chopped fennel (white bottom part only)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced part skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded Romano or Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place potatoes in a steamer basket with a small amount of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender. Let cool, then cut into thin slices.
- Cut peppers in half, discard stems and seeds. Place peppers on foil-lined baking sheet and flatten with hand. Bake for 20 minutes or until browned and blistered. Wrap peppers up in foil to steam for 10 minutes. Remove skin from peppers and cut into strips. Press between several layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Saute the onion and fennel in olive oil about 20 minutes or until very soft, stirring frequently. Stir in the pesto and cook several minutes more.
- Spray a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate or springform pan with nonstick cooking spray and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Cover the bottom with 1/3 of the potatoes, 1/2 the peppers and 1/2 the cheese. Spread the onion mixture evenly over the top and cover with another layer of potatoes and peppers. Cover the top with the remaining cheese and sprinkle with olives. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, tenting the top with foil after 30 minutes. Let cool to room temperature and cut into thin wedges.