Date Walnut Squares
- Yield 16 servings
The spiced whipped cream is optional, but adds a peppery element of surprise to this dessert.
- Date Walnut Squares:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups chopped dates
- Spiced Whipped Cream (optional):
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon (heaping) powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Date slivers
- Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly oil an 8-inch square baking pan.
- To prepare squares, beat eggs until foamy. Beat in sugar and vanilla.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together and stir into egg mixture. Fold in walnuts and dates.
Spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Cut into 2-inch squares while warm, but allow to cool before serving. Makes 16.
- To prepare whipped cream, place all ingredients into a small, chilled bowl and beat until thick peaks form. Scoop into a pastry bag outfitted with a star tip and pipe on top of each bar. Garnish with a sliver of date.
Recipe by Nancy Vienneau