- Yield: 16 servings
I have shared this recipe for date bars with many friends and at the age of 91 I am still baking and sharing. I thought it might be fun to share with Hometown Recipes.
- Crumb mixture:
- 1 3/4cups quick oats
- 1 3/4cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1cup brown sugar
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 8ounces chopped dates
- 1/2cup water
- 1cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To prepare crumb mixture, combine all ingredients and stir until well blended. Press half the mixture into a well-greased 8-inch square baking dish.
- To prepare filling, stir together all ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly and smooth. Pour filling evenly over crumb mixture.
- Spread remaining crumb mixture over filling. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cut into squares and serve when cool.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Try adding chopped walnuts or pecans to the crumb mixture.
– Recipe by Mildred Hennon, Newton, Iowa