Darla’s Blueberry Cheesecake
- Yield: 12 servings
"Every year, the whole family gets together for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. And everybody always looks for Darla's Cheesecake."
- 20 honey-flavored graham crackers, crushed
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 1/2teaspoons sugar
- 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1cup sugar
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1cup sour cream
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 1cup fresh or frozen and thawed blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 300F.
- To prepare the crust, combine the crushed graham crackers, butter, and sugar in a small bowl; mix well. Press in the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Bake 10 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- To prepare the filling, increase the oven temperature to 350 F. Place the cream cheese in a large bowl and beat with a mixer at high speed until smooth. Add the sugar, flour, salt, and vanilla. Beat until well blended. Add the egg yolks, 1 at a time, mixing after each addition. Add the sour cream and beat until well blended.
- Place the egg whites in a medium bowl. Using clean beaters, beat at high speed until stiff. Fold into the cream cheese mixture and pour the batter into the cooled crust.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until set. Leave in the oven. Turn off the heat and open oven door for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack until room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- To prepare the topping, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt with 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepan. Stir until the cornstarch is dissolved. Add the berries and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 full minute, stirring occasionally. Cool, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. At serving time, top the cheesecake with the blueberry mixture.
Recipe by Darla Gregory, Port Henry, N.Y.