Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Pistachios and Sea Salt
- Yield: 2 1/2 dozens
- 18tablespoons unsalted butter (2 sticks + 2 tablespoons)
- 1cup unsalted shelled pistachios
- 2 1/4cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 1cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1teaspoon salt
- 2teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2large eggs
- 2cups (about 10 to 12 ounces) roughly chopped good dark chocolate, or good quality dark chocolate chips or chunks
- 1tablespoon fleur de sel or other crunchy finishing salt
- In a small heavy-bottom saucepan, brown the butter over medium high heat until golden to deep brown, should take about 10 or 15 minutes. Watch carefully once it starts to brown to avoid burning. Pour out into a heat-proof dish, trying to leave the burnt solids behind, and refrigerate until soft but beginning to firm. If it solidifies, you can remove and leave out until soft.
- If you want to skip this step, you can simply use 2 sticks of softened unsalted butter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange pistachios on a baking sheet in a single layer, and toast for about 5 or 6 minutes, or until they smell toasty and nutty. Cool and roughly chop.
- Whisk together the flour and baking soda in a small bowl and set aside. Combine the cooled brown butter with both sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and add the salt, vanilla, and eggs. Beat until well mixed, about 1 minute. Add flour and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate and toasted pistachio.
- Scoop dough out using a portion scoop and place about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. A #24 scoop, works out to about 3 tablespoons of dough per cookie. If you make smaller cookies you’ll need to reduce the baking time by a few minutes, but you’ll have more cookies in the end. Sprinkle each cookie with a small pinch of fleur de sel.
- Bake until cookies are golden around the edges, but still soft in the center, around 11 to 13 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.
This recipe from Brooklyn Homemaker and Honest Cooking was republished with permission. It originally appeared as Pistachio and Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Brown Butter and Fleur de Sel.