Mary Berry’s Heavenly Chocolate Cake
- 9tablespoons butter, plus extra for greasing
- 7ounces dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2tablespoons water
- 3large eggs, separated
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 1/2cup self-rising flour
- 1/2cup ground almonds
- Fudge Frosting
- 9tablespoons butter
- 3/4cup cocoa powder
- about 6tablespoons milk
- 4cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- white chocolate curls to decorate
Special Equipment: deep 8 in. cake pan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly butter the pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl with the butter and water. Place the bowl over a pan of hot water and heat gently, stirring, until the mixture has melted. Cool.
- Combine the egg yolks and granulated sugar in a large bowl and beat together with a hand-held mixer until fluffy and very light in color. Stir in the cooled chocolate mixture. Carefully fold in the flour and ground almonds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into the cake mixture, gently but thoroughly. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until well-risen and firm to the touch.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for a few minutes, turn onto a wire rack, and peel off the lining paper. Cool completely. Make the fudge frosting: melt the butter in a pan, add the cocoa powder, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the milk and confectioners’ sugar. Beat well until smooth. Let cool until thickened.
- Split the cake in half horizontally and sandwich the layers together with half of the fudge frosting. With a palette knife, spread the remaining frosting over the top and the sides of the cake. Decorate in white chocolate curls.
Images reproduced by permission of DK, a division of Penguin Random House from Baking with Mary Berry. ©2016 by Mary Berry. All rights reserved.