Danish Blue Cheese Bread
- Yield: 15 servings
- 2cups whole wheat flour
- 2cups unbleached bread flour
- 3tablespoons instant dry yeast
- 1cup crumbled Danish blue cheese
- 3-- eggs
- 1tablespoon brown sugar
- 1cup water, at room temperature
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1-- egg, beaten
- Mix the whole wheat flour, bread flour and yeast in a bowl. Combine the blue cheese, 3 eggs, the brown sugar, water and salt in a mixing bowl and mix well. Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 6 to 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Shape into a ball and place in an oiled bowl, turning to coat the surface. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for 1 1/2 hours.
- Shape into a loaf and place in a greased 5×9-inch loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for 1 hour. Brush the top with a beaten egg.
- Bake at 350F for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the pan to a wire rack to cool. Slice to serve.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Stig Hansen’s Cooking Danish, A Taste of Denmark (Eden, Utah, 2007).