- 1cup cashews
- 1pound 100% whole grain penne
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1tablespoon minced garlic
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 1/2teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3cups canned pumpkin (from two cans)
- 3/4teaspoon mustard powder
- 3tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3/4cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 2teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Place cashews in a small bowl, cover with water and soak at least 4 hours.
- Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté about 5 minutes until lightly browned. Add garlic, sage and thyme, stir and cook about 60 seconds, then remove from heat. Place drained cashews, onion mixture, pumpkin, mustard and nutrition yeast in a blender and blend into a smooth puree. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine the “cheese” mixture with the pasta until evenly coated. Spread evenly into a large baking dish coated lightly with oil. Bake 20-25 minutes until the top is lightly browned.
- In a small bowl, combine the panko, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a little salt. Sprinkle evenly over the macaroni. Turn on the broiler, place the macaroni underneath and brown about 60 seconds, being careful not to burn it.
This recipe originally appeared as Dairy Free Macaroni and “Cheese” on An Avocado a Day.