Curry Noodle Soup
- Yield: 8 servings
Make this into a vegetarian soup by omitting the chicken. Broil or pan-sear 3/4 pound sliced firm tofu and place on top of noodles before ladling on the soup. Brush the tofu with hoisin sauce before cooking.
- 3cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 3tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1tablespoon turmeric
- 1pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 14-inch strips
- 1cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2tablespoons fish sauce
- 2tablespoons soy sauce
- 1teaspoon salt
- 3/4pound egg noodles (preferably Asian-style)
- 3/4cup loosely packed Thai basil leaves
- 2-- green onions, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 cup coconut milk to a boil over medium-high heat. Add red curry paste and turmeric; stir to combine. Cook until mixture starts to thicken, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken strips and turn to coat them well. Add remaining coconut milk, broth, fish sauce and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook about 8 minutes.
- Add salt and egg noodles to boiling water. Cook until al dente. Drain.
- Ladle hot soup over noodles and garnish with basil and green onions.
Reprinted with permission from Nirmala Narine’s In Nirmala’s Kitchen: Everyday World Cuisine (Lake Isle Press, 2006).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 458
- Fat 26g
- Saturated Fat 20g
- Cholesterol 72mg
- Sodium 1211mg
- Carbohydrate 38g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugars 5g
- Protein 22g