Curried Shrimp with Coconut Rice
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 1/2cups Jasmine or white rice, dry
- 1can (14 ounce) lite coconut milk, divided
- 2tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1large red pepper, sliced into thin strips (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1tablespoon curry powder, divided
- 1-- (10 ounce) bag prewashed baby spinach (about 6 packed cups)
- 1pound 16-20 count shrimp, shelled and deveined
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the rice as directed, using ¾ cup of the coconut milk in place of ¾ cup of water. Set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, pepper, and 2 teaspoons of the curry powder, and cook until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until it wilts, about 3 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan.
- Return the skillet to the stove and heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, along with the remaining 1 teaspoon of curry powder, and cook about 2 minutes per side.
- Return the vegetables to the pan. Add the remaining 1 cup of coconut milk, combine, and heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over the coconut rice.
Meal Makeover Moms