- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Serve these in a dosa wrapper for a filling meal.
- 4medium potatoes, red or yellow, chopped small (about 6 cups)
- 1tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1/2teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 green or red chilis, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2tablespoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 3cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 20leaves of curry
- 1 1/2teaspoons sea salt
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into quarter moons
- 1tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4cup minced fresh cilantro
- Heat approximately 1 inch of water in a covered pot fitted with a steamer basket over high heat. Place the potatoes in the basket and steam until a fork can easily pass through, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the oil, mustard seeds, turmeric, chiles, ginger, garlic, curry leaves, and salt and stir well until the mustard seeds begin to pop.
- Add the onion and sauté until translucent, for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the steamed potatoes, stir well, then use a fork to mash them up. When most of the potato is mashed, stir until the flavors and colors are distributed. You may want to use a little water to keep the potatoes from sticking to the pan while mashing and stirring.
- Turn off the heat, add the lemon juice and cilantro, and stir well.
From the book The 30-Minute Vegan’s Taste of the East by Mark Reinfeld and Jennifer Murray. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2010.