Curried Potatoes with Eggplant and Spinach
- Yield 4 servings
Serve these super-spicy potoatoes over basmati rice.
- Curry Mixture:
- 1 -- (1/2-inch-thick) slice peeled ginger root
- 2 -- garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 -- jalapeno chili, seeded, optional
- 1/4 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut*
- 1 teaspoon garam masalas or curry powder**
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- Sauteed Vegetables:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or ghee***
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 medium boiled all purpose or Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- -- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1 cup chopped, well washed spinach leaves
- -- Salt, to taste
- To make curry: Place all ingredients in blender or a food processor fitted with the metal blade and process or blend about 20 seconds until smooth. Set aside.
- To make vegetables: Heat oil in a large nonreactive skillet over medium heat. Add eggplant and saute 1 minute. Add cooked potatoes and saute 2 minutes. Add reserved Curry Mixture and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes until eggplant is tender and liquid is almost evaporated. Add cilantro, lemon juice, peas and spinach. Season with salt.
- *Unsweetened dried coconut can be found in most natural food stores. If you can't find it just omit it or use an equal amount coconut milk.