Curried Mushroom Barley Soup
- Yield 4 servings
Earthy mushrooms, smoked ham and stewed tomatoes star in this tasty soup.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, sliced (about 5 cups)
- 8 ounces smoked ham, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 to 5 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 -- (15-ounce) cans ready-to-serve chicken broth
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- In a large saucepan melt butter. Add carrots and onion; cook, stirring occasionally until carrots are nearly crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Add ham and curry powder; cook stirring constantly, until curry is fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes and barley. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until barley is tender, about 10 minutes.