Curried Lentils with Mint Rice
- Yield 6 servings
Throw everything in a slow-cooker in the morning and let the aromas of this savory lentils welcome you home.
- 2 cups lentils
- 8 to 10 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 6 small potatoes, cut into quarters
- Salt and pepper
- Mint rice:
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- To prepare the curried lentils: Place lentils, stock, curry powder, chili flakes, fresh ginger, onion, garlic, carrots and potatoes in a slow cooker. Cook for 4 to 6 hours on high or 6 to 8 hours on low, or until lentils are cooked and carrots and potatoes are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To prepare the mint rice: In a large saucepan, combine rice, olive oil and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to a low and cover. Cook for 35 to 40 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. Remove saucepan from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes, covered. Toss rice with the mint.
- To complete the dish: Spoon some of the mint rice onto a plate and top with the lentils. Garnish with extra chopped mint on top.