Curried Lentil Soup
- Yield 10 servings
Serve this soup with braised collards or kale or a green salad and whole-grain bread.
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 -- onion, chopped
- 2 -- celery stalks, sliced
- 4 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, or 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry couscous
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Combine lentils, onion, celery, garlic, cumin and water or broth in a large pot. Bring to a simmer, then cover loosely and cook until lentils are tender, about 50 minutes.
- Stir in couscous, tomatoes, curry powder and black pepper. Continue cooking until couscous is tender, about 10 minutes. Add salt to taste. Makes about 10 cups.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Healthy Eating for Life to Prevent and Treat Diabetes by Patricia Bertron, R.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond, M.S., R.D.