Curried Israeli Couscous & California Walnut Pilaf
- Yield 12 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 10 mins
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1-1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1-1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cups Israeli couscous
- 9 cups boiling water
- 1-1/2 cup dried currants
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2-1/4 cup California walnuts, toasted, chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- Melt butter in large saucepan; sauté onions, carrots and celery until softened.
- Stir in spices; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in Israeli couscous; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add boiling water and currants. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes, or until almost all of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in lemon juice and honey.
- Reserve 1 cup of the walnuts for sprinkling on top; add remaining walnuts and cilantro to mixture. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tbsp of walnuts.
TIP: For creamier texture, add small amounts of additional boiling water until desired texture is achieved.