Curried Chicken Salad with Raisins
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 0 mins
Sweet and chewy raisins offset the spicy curry nicely in this filling chicken salad.
For more than 20 years this salad was enormously popular at Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten's specialty food store in East Hampton, N.Y. We've adapted it slightly by decreasing the mayonnaise and adding more raisins. It has a kick from the curry powder and is perfect served with whole-grain bread. Adapted from Barefoot Contessa Family Style by Ina Garten, photographs by Maura McEvoy (Potter, $35).
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup Major Grey's chutney
- 3 tablespoons curry powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/4 pound boneless, skinless roasted chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces (about 6 cups chicken)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Roasted, salted cashews (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, wine, chutney, curry powder and salt. Add chicken, celery, green onions and raisins; mix gently.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Add cashews before serving, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa Family Style (Clarkson Potter).