- Yield: 10 servings
- 2teaspoons allspice powder
- 2teaspoons cinnamon
- 2teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2teaspoon nutmeg
- 4teaspoons brown sugar
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 4tablespoons tamarind paste
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 hot chilies
- 4tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2teaspoons salt
- 2teaspoons pepper
- 10 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1teaspoon finely chopped fresh hot chile pepper
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- 1teaspoon allspice
- 1tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 (16-ounce) can tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 2tablespoons chopped green onions
- To prepare marinade, combine all ingredients in a blender and mix well.
- Place chicken and marinade in zip-top plastic bag. Seal and rub marinade into the chicken. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from marinade, allowing excess to drip away. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy saute pan over medium-high heat and fry chicken in a single layer (working in batches) until all of the chicken pieces are golden brown. Reserve in a warm place.
- To prepare sauce, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a clean frying pan, and saute onion, bell pepper, garlic and chile pepper about 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add cinnamon, allspice and brown sugar and cook 2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and cook 5 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Return chicken to pan, glazing the pieces with the sauce as they re-warm. Serve with rice, garnishing with chopped green onion.
Recipe adapted from Angelica’s Kitchen on the island of Curacao (angelicas-kitchen.com).