- 4 chicken breast quarters
- Toasted Cumin and Black Pepper Rub: recipe follows
- Borracho Beans: recipe follows
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 2tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1pound mustard greens, washed, stemmed
- Rub chicken with Toasted Cumin and Black Pepper Rub. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Prepare Borracho Beans and keep hot.
- In frypan over medium heat, place oil. Add chicken and sear on each side. Remove chicken to 350°F. oven and cook about 45 minutes or until fork can be inserted with ease. In large frypan, place butter and shallots; cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Add mustard greens and cook, tossing gently, until wilted. Arrange greens in 4 shallow bowls. Add beans evenly around greens and top with chicken.
Toasted Cumin and Black Pepper Rub:
- In frypan, place 1/4 cup cumin seeds, 2 tablespoons dried oregano, 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Toast over medium heat, stirring, about 2 minutes. Transfer to spice grinder and pulse until smooth.
- Wash l cup dried pinto beans; cover with water and soak overnight. Drain and rinse beans; place in saucepan and add water to cover by 3 inches. Simmer over low heat about 1 1/2 hours until tender, adding water if necessary. Drain. In large frypan over medium heat, place l tablespoon vegetable oil, 1/4 onion (diced) and 6 serrano chilies with seeds (minced). Cook about 5 minutes; stir in 8 plum tomatoes (diced), 2/3 cup beer and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add beans, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves just before serving.