Cucumber and Bell Pepper Salad
- Yield 12 servings
"Cucumber Salad is great for July 4 picnics - it stays crisp in a cooler. To make it more colorful, use 1/2 green bell pepper and 1/2 red bell pepper."
- 3 large cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Combine the cucumbers, bell pepper, onions, celery seeds, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand 1 hour at room temperature.
- Drain the cucumber mixture in a colander, shaking off the excess liquid. Return the mixture to the bowl.
- Add the vinegar and sugar; toss gently. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 hours to overnight. The salad may be stored in the refrigerator up to three weeks.
Recipe by Helen Heino, Dunlevy, Pa.