- Yield: 4 servings
- 1large cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4cup rice wine vinegar
- 4teaspoons sugar
- 1tablespoon peanut oil
- 1teaspoon minced Hawaiian chiles or chile paste
- 2tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1large papaya, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1/4cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6-- lettuce leaves
- Sprinkle the cucumber with salt and let drain in a colander for 20 minutes. Rinse and pat dry. In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, oil, chiles and ginger. Add the cucumber, papaya and cilantro and toss.
- Line a serving platter or 4 individual plates with lettuce leaves, and top each with about 1/2 cup of salad.