Crustless Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3cups small broccoli florets (from about 1 large head of broccoli)
- 1cup shredded Cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1cup whole of 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 2/3cup cup heavy cream
- 6 eggs
- 1pinch nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
- 1teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 10-inch glass pie plate.
- Cook broccoli in a large pot of salted boiling water until crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, pat dry and scatter over the bottom pie plate. Scatter cheese evenly over top.
- Whisk together milk, cream, eggs, nutmeg, salt and pepper until smooth, then pour over cheese. Bake until custard is just set in center, 35 to 40 minutes. (Don’t worry if the center is a little trembly; it will cook a little more as it rests.) Let cool slightly before serving.
Reprinted with permission from Kathy Brennan and Caroline Campion’s Keepers: Two Home Cooks Share Their Tried-and-True Weeknight Recipes and Secrets to Happiness in the Kitchen (Rodale, 2013).