Crunchy Wheat Berry Salad with Cranberries and Goat Cheese
- Yield 10 servings
- 2 cups wheat berries, dry
- 3 -- celery stalks, sliced
- 1 large shallots, sliced
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- -- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Bring 5 cups of salted water to boil. Rinse the wheat berries in cold water and then add them to the boiling water. After adding the berries, bring the water back up to a boil before reducing the heat. Cover the pot and allow to simmer for 1 hour. Strain and set to the side to cool.
- While the wheat berries are cooling, chop the celery and shallots. Add them to a large bowl with the dried cranberries.
- Combine the garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, salt and pepper; whisk until well combined.
- Add the cooked wheat berries and then pour the dressing over top and combine with a wooden spoon. Add goat cheese and almonds; toss lightly. Refrigerate or serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Nicole, a Registered Dietitian who believes in balance: love what you eat and be what you eat to live a long, healthy life. Her cooking style focuses on disease prevention in otherwise healthy people, emphasizing balance, moderation of all nutrients, and plentiful in what we know to be good. By day, Nicole is the Director of Nutrition Services at a Michigan hospital and by night, she is a home cook, wife, and healthy food blogger.