Crunchy Vegetable and Alfalfa Sprout Wraps
- Yield 4 servings
Alfalfa is one of the most nutritious foods out there. Its packed with calcium, chlorophyll, carotene, and vitamin K.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -- red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 -- red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 -- tomato, diced
- -- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 stalks asparagus
- 2 -- avocados
- 1/3 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- -- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 large whole wheat or flax seed tortillas
- 1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts
1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add red onion and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, until starting to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Stir in red bell pepper and tomato and cook, stirring, until onions are caramelized, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling salted water, cook asparagus until tender and crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water to chill. Drain well and pat dry.
3. Cut avocados in half and remove pits. Scrape flesh from skins into a bowl. Using a fork, mash avocado with sour cream and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Place warmed tortillas on a work surface. Divide avocado mixture among tortillas and spread thinly almost to the edge. Spoon onion mixture in a line along center of tortillas, dividing equally. Place 3 asparagus spears on top of each, then divide alfalfa sprouts equally on top. Fold up bottom of tortilla over filling, then fold in both sides and secure with a toothpick.