Crunchy Oven-Baked Fish Sticks
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 15 mins
Fried fish flavor without the frying!
- Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup lowfat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickle
- 1 teaspoon pickle juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 fresh tilapia fillets (1 pound total)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs (Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
- Oil for sheet pan
- To prepare the dipping sauce, combine all sauce ingredients in a bowl and stir until smooth. Add salt to taste.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Cut each fish fillet lengthwise at the seam to separate it into a thicker piece and a thinner piece. Cut the thicker piece crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Lay the slices on their sides and cut them in half lengthwise to form 2-inch-by-1/4-inch sticks. Cut the thinner piece of fish crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Combine fish with milk and garlic and chill, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Lightly oil a sheet pan and place in the oven to heat. Combine flour, salt and paprika in a shallow bowl. Put breadcrumbs in second shallow bowl. Remove fish from milk and pat it dry on paper towels. Dip in flour mixture to coat on all sides, shaking off the excess. Dip in milk, and then finally in breadcrumbs, coating well.
- Remove pan from oven and arrange fish in one layer in pan. Return to oven and bake 6 minutes. Turn fish over and bake an additional 5 to 6 minutes or until cooked through. Sprinkle with salt to taste. Serve with dipping sauce.
Recipe by Sara Moulton and the KidSafe Seafood program.