Crunchy Crust French Toast
- Yield: 6 servings
"My kids are all grown, but they loved this recipe growing up. Now, we often have brunch for our family get-togethers and this is always a hit. It's a little different from regular French toast and can be kept warm while other dishes are being prepared."
- 2 eggs
- 2/3cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 4teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4cup flaked shredded coconut
- 2/3cup crushed cornflakes
- 9 bread slices
- 4tablespoons butter
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- Maple syrup, warmed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Whisk eggs in a medium bowl until well beaten. Add milk, sugar, and cinnamon; mix well.
- Combine coconut and cornflakes in a shallow pan.
- Heat half the butter and half the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until bubbly. Dip half the bread slices into egg mixture, then coat with coconut mixture. Place bread slices in pan and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to an ovenproof platter and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining butter, oil and bread. Serve with maple syrup, if using.
Recipe by Marsha Baker, Pioneer, Ohio