Crunchy California Sunshine Salad
- Yield: 8 servings
When Michaela Rosenthal lived in Montana, she made a similar version of this salad. Upon moving to Woodland hills, Calif., she updated it with fresh local ingredients. According to Michaela, this is a great potluck dish. Bring the dressing in a separate container and add enough to coat the greens just before serving.
- 8ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 1cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1tablespoon honey
- 1tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1teaspoon salt
- 2heads baby romaine lettuce, torn in bite-size pieces
- 2 (4-ounce) packages bean sprouts
- 2 navel oranges, peeled and separated
- 1/3cup chopped jicama
- 1/3cup golden raisins
- 1/3cup dried sour cherries or cranberries
- 1/3cup shelled sunflower seeds
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth and creamy. Chill.
- For the salad, place lettuce in a large salad bowl. Cut each orange segment in half and add to lettuce. Add jicama, raisins, cherries and sunflower seeds. When ready to serve, pour half the chilled dressing over salad and toss.
—Recipe by Michaela Rosenthal, Woodland Hills, Calif.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 152
- Fat 8g
- Sodium 209mg
- Carbohydrate 16g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 4g