Crunchy Banana Walnut Bread
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 65 mins
A sweet, moist loaf with a good banana flavor and the golden color of wheat. It is enjoyable warm from the oven, although it keeps well and is also good sliced and toasted the next day. Be sure to use bananas that are fully ripe and speckled with brown.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup cornmeal, coarsely ground, if possible
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cup mashed, ripe banana (about 3 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup non-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 3 -- egg whites
- 1/2 cup California Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8 ½ x 4 ½ x 2 ½ inch loaf pan or coat it with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, place the flours, oat bran, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Stir and toss to combine ingredients thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the banana, honey, milk, oil and egg whites. Add to the combined dry ingredients along with the walnuts and stir just until moistened and blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan (it will be quite full) and bake for 65-70 minutes, or until a toothpick or think skewer inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pan, then remove to a wire rack.