Crispy Southwestern Lasagna with Tortillas
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
This popular and exciting twist to lasagna is simple to prepare, with no noodles to cook.
- 1 pound sirloin
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups reduced-fat or fat-free cottage cheese
- 16 (6-inch) corn or flour tortillas, cut into quarters
- 1 (15 1/4-ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack or Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook meat over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add tomatoes and juice, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper; set aside.
- Mix egg whites and cottage cheese in a small bowl and set aside.
- Spray a large baking dish with nonstick spray. Spread six, quartered tortillas across the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer corn, half meat mixture, half cheese, four quartered tortillas, then all the cottage cheese mixture, other half of meat mixture, and remaining quartered tortillas. Garnish with cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is bubbly and crispy.