Crispy Southwestern Lasagna with Tortillas
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
This popular and exciting twist to lasagna is simple to prepare, with no noodles to cook.
- 1 pound sirloin
- 1 -- (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 -- (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- -- Salt and pepper
- 2 -- egg whites
- 2 cups reduced-fat or fat-free cottage cheese
- 16 -- (6-inch) corn or flour tortillas, cut into quarters
- 1 -- (15 1/4-ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 -- (8-ounce) package shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack or Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In large nonstick skillet, cook meat over medium heat until done. Add tomatoes and juice, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper; set aside.
- In small bowl, blend egg whites and cottage cheese well; set aside.
- Coat a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cover bottom of baking dish with six quartered tortillas.
- Layer all the corn, half meat mixture, half cheese, four quartered tortillas, then all the cottage cheese mixture, remaining meat mixture, and remaining quartered tortillas. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 Easy Recipes from My Louisiana Kitchen, 2008.