Crispy Southwestern Lasagna
- Yield 8 servings
The corn tortillas combined with all these great ingredients make this crispy lasagna extremely popular.
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups nonfat cottage cheese
- 14 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut in quarters
- 1 (17-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8-ounce) package reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook meat until done, about 5 minutes. Drain any excess grease. Add tomatoes, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, garlic, and salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine egg whites and cottage cheese, set aside.
- Coat a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cover bottom of the baking dish with 6 corn tortillas (cut in quarters). Add half the meat mixture, half the Monterey Jack, 4 tortillas (cut in quarters), then all the cottage cheese mixture, the remaining half the meat mixture, and the remaining 4 tortillas and top with the remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered 30 minutes.