Crispy Salt and Pepper Brussels Sprouts
- Yield: 2 servings
Note: Try swapping out the coconut oil for bacon grease. For added bacon flavor, toss with large bits of bacon.
- 1pound Brussels sprouts, stems trimmed
- 2tablespoons coconut oil
- 1teaspoon flaked sea salt
- 1teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1ounce freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
- Slice each Brussels sprout into 3 or 4 slices.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the coconut oil. Add the Brussels sprouts to the skillet, tossing them well to coat with the oil. Use a spatula or heatproof spoon to spread the sprouts into a single layer (the best you can) in the skillet. Let the sprouts cook until crispy on the bottom, 5 minutes. Flip the Brussels and cook until the other side is crispy, 5 minutes. Flip any remaining sprouts and cook until golden and crisp.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and toss the salt and pepper with the Brussels.
Posted with permission from Seriously Delish by Jessica Merchant (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2014).