Moroccan-Spiced Chicken with Dates & Yogurt
- Yield 4 servings
- Date Yogurt:
- 3 -- pitted Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh mint leaves, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt (preferably Greek style yogurt)
- Crispy Moroccan Chicken Thighs:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cayenne
- 2 -- eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups plain pita chips, ground in a food processor
- 1/2 cup peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 8 -- boneless, skinless chicken thighs, pounded thin
- -- Kosher salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepared couscous (optional)
- -- Dates, for garnish
- -- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- -- Lemon wedges, for garnish
In the bowl of a food processor, combine dates, 2 tablespoons oil, mint, garlic, lemon juice, and yogurt; puree.
Crispy Moroccan Chicken Thighs:
Lay out three shallow dishes. In the first dish, place the flour, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and cayenne; mix well. In the second the eggs and water; mix well. In the third, the ground pita chips.
Heat 1/4 cup oil in each of 2 large skillets over medium-high heat. Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper. Dip the chicken in the flour; shake off the excess. Dip the chicken in the egg wash; shake off the excess. Place the chicken in the pita chips and coat thoroughly. Press so the chips stick to the chicken. Repeat with all pieces of chicken. Add 4 pieces of chicken to each skillet and cook 5-6 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
Serve with Date Yogurt and couscous (optional). Garnish with dates, mint, and lemon wedges.
Makes 4 servings.