Crispy Hominy with Pickled Red Onion
- Pickled Red Onion
- 5 red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cups red wine vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups canned hominy
- 1 cup pigskin
- 1/2 cup picked cilantro
- 1/2 cup cut scallions
- 3 tablespoons pickled red onion
- 1 teaspoon roasted jalapenos
- 3 limes juiced
- To make pickled red onion, add all ingredients—except the onions—to a pot and let simmer. Let cool. Poor over onions and allow onions to marinate for 48 hours.
- Open hominy and rinse the starch out, then let dry.
- Take raw pigskin and boil it with your favorite aromatics until it is tender; let cool and then julienne.
- Fry hominy and skin in a 400-degree fryer for about 5 minutes until it is very crispy.
- Take out once crisp and add to a bowl. Immediately season with salt the add lime juice.
- Mix remainder of ingredients and serve.
Recipe Courtesy of Greenhouse Tavern