Crispy Fruit Treats
- Yield 12 servings
Fruit makes these crispy treats more nutritious and flavorful.
- 5 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or dried blueberries
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 -- (10-ounce) package marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the cereal, dried cranberries and sunflower seeds in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Place the margarine in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the margarine melts. Add the marshmallows and heat until the marshmallows melt, stirring to mix well. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Add the marshmallow mixture to the cereal and stir until all the cereal is coated and sticky.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased baking dish and press with a spatula to spread it evenly. Let it stand for 5 minutes or longer to cool. Cut into bars or into shapes with greased cookie cutters.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc.’s In the Kitchen with Kids (Nashville, Tn., 2009).