- 1pound fresh okra, washed/dried, tips trimmed
- 1/2cup flour, plus 1/2 cup, divided
- 1cup buttermilk
- 1/2cup cornmeal
- Cajun Seasoning
- 1teaspoon granulated garlic (or powder)
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/2teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4-1/2teaspoon cayenne to taste
- 1pinch cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil (enough to cover okra) to 350 F.
- After washing and drying, trim fresh okra tops. I prefer to leave whole instead of chopping into small pieces.
- In bowl #1, add one portion of flour and add a healthy pinch each of salt and pepper.
- In bowl #2, mix together remaining four, cornmeal.
- In bowl #3, add buttermilk. (Use milk with teaspoon lemon juice, sit for 5 minutes, if no buttermilk on hand.)
- Combine Cajun seasonings in a small bowl. Add about ¾ of seasoning to the flour/cornmeal mix.
- Keep the remaining Cajun seasoning on hand to season okra after frying.
- Place okra in bowl #1 (flour, s&p). Toss well.
- Transfer to buttermilk.
- Transfer to bowl with flour/cornmeal/Cajun and cover well, pressing mix around okra well to form a solid crust. Tap off excess carefully.
- Transfer okra to a sheet pan to rest for 5-10 minutes. This will allow the outer layer to “gum up” and give a better, more stable crispy exterior.
- Carefully fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove to paper towel lined pan. Toss with more Cajun and salt/pepper, if desired.
This recipe by Southern Fatty for Honest Cooking was reposted with permission and originally appeared as Crispy-Fried Okra with Cajun Spices.