Crispy Cornflake-Crusted Tofu
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1pound firm tofu
- 1cup buttermilk
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh dill or basil
- 2cups cornflakes, coarsely crushed
- Salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1tablespoon canol or olive oil
- Cut tofu into 1/2-inch-thick slabs across short side of tofu block; set aside.
- In a nonreactive shallow bowl, combine buttermilk and herbs. Add tofu to buttermilk mixture and turn to coat. Let sit 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix crushed cornflakes with salt and cayenne pepper and place on a plate.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Roll tofu in cornflake mixture, pressing cornflakes gently into tofu to cover. Place tofu in pan and saute 4 minutes until golden brown, turn tofu and cook on other side 4 minutes or until brown. Serve or set tofu on a baking pan in a 200-degree oven to keep warm until serving time.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 289
- Fat 7g
- Cholesterol 4mg
- Sodium 428mg
- Carbohydrate 42g
- Fiber .14g
- Protein 14g