Crispy Cornflake-Crusted Tofu
- Yield 4 servings
Serve this crispy tofu with fresh lemon or your favorite marinara sauce.
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or basil
- 2 cups cornflakes, coarsely crushed
- Salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon canol or olive oil
- Cut tofu into 1/2-inch-thick slabs across short side of tofu block; set aside.
- In a nonreactive shallow bowl, combine buttermilk and herbs. Add tofu to buttermilk mixture and turn to coat. Let sit 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix crushed cornflakes with salt and cayenne pepper and place on a plate.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Roll tofu in cornflake mixture, pressing cornflakes gently into tofu to cover. Place tofu in pan and saute 4 minutes until golden brown, turn tofu and cook on other side 4 minutes or until brown. Serve or set tofu on a baking pan in a 200-degree oven to keep warm until serving time.