Crisp Garlic Baked Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Yield 4 servings
This no-hassle, good-for-you chicken dinner tastes deceptively rich and indulgent thanks to low-fat cream cheese
- Chicken Breasts:
- 4 free-range boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 5 oz each
- 1/3 cup low-fat cream cheese
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup dried white bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
- To serve:
- 1 pound new potatoes
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Cut deep slits along the sides of the chicken breasts to create a pocket in each. Mix together the cream cheese, garlic, parsley, and lemon juice and zest. Season well with salt and pepper, then spoon the filling into the slits in the chicken.
- Place the flour, egg, and bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes. Coat each chicken breast first in the flour, then the egg, and then the bread crumbs. Arrange on a baking pan and place in the oven for 15–18 minutes, or until cooked.
- Meanwhile, cook the new potatoes in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 15–18 minutes until tender.
- Cook the broccoli florets in a large basket steamer for 3 to 4 minutes until tender. Alternatively, cook in an electric steamer, according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve the crisp baked chicken with the broccoli and new potatoes.
Recipes reprinted with permission from Quick Cook Low Fat by Jo McAuley (Hamlyn)