Crisp Garlic Baked Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Yield: 4 servings
- Chicken Breasts:
- 4 free-range boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 5 oz each
- 1/3cup low-fat cream cheese
- 1large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2tablespoon lemon juice
- 1teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2cup all-purpose flour
- 1large egg, beaten
- 3/4cup dried white bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
- To serve:
- 1pound new potatoes
- 3cups broccoli florets
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Cut deep slits along the sides of the chicken breasts to create a pocket in each. Mix together the cream cheese, garlic, parsley, and lemon juice and zest. Season well with salt and pepper, then spoon the filling into the slits in the chicken.
- Place the flour, egg, and bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes. Coat each chicken breast first in the flour, then the egg, and then the bread crumbs. Arrange on a baking pan and place in the oven for 15–18 minutes, or until cooked.
- Meanwhile, cook the new potatoes in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 15–18 minutes until tender.
- Cook the broccoli florets in a large basket steamer for 3 to 4 minutes until tender. Alternatively, cook in an electric steamer, according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve the crisp baked chicken with the broccoli and new potatoes.
Recipes reprinted with permission from Quick Cook Low Fat by Jo McAuley (Hamlyn)